Tuesday 6 October 2009

A vest for a vest: finished


A vest for a vest
Originally uploaded by
Asplund

I envy my fingers – unlike me they remember things so well! Once I got started with the pattern it was almost like typing, and a favourite movie helped making this a quick knit: Woody Allen's Match Point is so compelling (even the the third time) I knitted faster than usual.

Short notes about the construction:


1. Knitted in one piece until I reached the armholes, then divided into three sections.
2. Armholes shaped using short rows.
3. Back and front joined using a three-needle bind-off and knitting a neck gusset (which I learnt from Alice Starmore's Fishermen's Sweaters). Picture here.
4. Stitches picked up around the armholes for a garter-stitch edging.
5. I picked up stitches along front; then knitted gusset stitches, back stitches and gusset stitches; then picked up stitches along other front. All stitches knitted back and forth for garter stitch edging.

My mother seems pleased with how her new vest turned out!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Truly beautiful. The lace pattern is so pretty. I am going to look up the neck gusset in Starmore's book. What does it do for the sweater?

Yarndude said...

You knit this so quickly, I can't believe it!

Asplund said...

I think neck gussets help making sweaters more comfortable: you get a little bit of sloping and also some extra elasticity if it's a sweater you pull over your head.

Once or twice I've even saved a sweater when I hadn't shaped the neck deep enough by redoing the shoulder joins with gussets.

Yarndude: To tell you the truth I can barely believe it myself!

Asplundare said...

Ögnade bara elin-likt genom texten, men jag fann en sär skrivning min sann!
Antar jag, eller nu vet jag inte alls. Det är väl jag som inte kan knittingkoden kanske..
" Maskor plockade upp runt ärmhål för ett strumpeband stygn bården".

Asplund said...

Det ser ut som en översättning (ord för ord) av följande mening i inlägget: "Stitches picked up around the armholes for a garter-stitch edging." Har du automatisk översättning till svenska på?