Saturday 31 July 2010

"Kungsängslilja" no 2: steeks

The use of steeks is easily one of my favourite features to make knitting sweaters easier and wearing them more comfortable. What's more, my steek skills have improved a lot over the years. Apart from learning by doing, I thank primarily Alice Starmore's Fishermen's Sweaters for what I know today.

Most important, I don't make use of sewing machines anymore. For a long time I did before cutting the armholes open for my knitted cylinders - and overused them too out of fear the sweater would unravel. Those seams are rather stiff, not so much to make the sweaters uncomfortable to wear, but enough to annoy me.

However, I do my best to see them as proof that my confidence and skills have developed, since I don't feel the slightest need to use a sewing machine today. In addition, I must say it's very satisfying not having to use a machine at all as I like doing as much as possible by hand. It's nice being able to do things without depending on electricity!

8 comments:

Knitting-twitter said...

..your skills have improved? I think,you are the master of the masters.. fantastic!!

greetings from Switzerland,Christa

life ldc said...

Great motif and colourwork!

aafke7 said...

It will be lovely! I never tried the technique but will check it out! Thank you very much!

Pinneguri said...

You are a brave man, but I am sure you know what you are doing. But it is only this yarn, BC Garn, you can dare to do this with?
I am knitting a sweater in it now, and I really like it. It is both stiff enough for easy knitting and soft enough for good glide on the needles.
The colours you have chosen are very different in the two photos? But exquisite!

Ann said...

Beautiful pattern and colors, but....
don't you sew at all anymore?
Don't you sew a seam by hand at least before you cut??

Yarndude said...

I can't imagine that you could get any better than you already are, but I'll take your word for it. I've only done one steek, but I'm personally looking forward to having a sewing machine in my possession to make them less intimidating.

lucy said...

I am absolutely and totally amazed by your skills to do such beautiful colour work and steeking (which I have not yet tried). I see it will be a beautiful end product.

Asplund said...

Sorry I haven't replied to questions before, but I've got a great excuse: I've been at a great knitting camp for a few days. Zero computer time! I believe next post will be about the camp.

About the steeks: this yarn isn't superwash, so I'm not very worried about it. I don't sew, but secure the steeks by crocheting two chains in each steek and cut between them. I learnt this from a knitter friend I got to spend a lot of time with at the camp.