Thursday 4 November 2010

Possession


"Töis wool" shawl
Originally uploaded by
Asplund
The other day I surprised myself by finishing a project before starting a new one. "Wightwizzle" is washed and blocked and left to dry while I'm visiting relatives for a couple of days.

Less surprising is my ability to buy yarn. Last weekend I couldn't resist buying two hanks of beautiful natural grey "Töis", soft and light 1ply wool from the island of Gotland.

This wool is quite fuzzy, so I wanted a fairly simple design, something based on straight lines (intricate lace patterns would drown) and decided to return to Jane Sowerby's Spider-web's shawls in Victorian Lace Today. I've made use of it twice before, for Eva and for Anna; in both cases I used wool-silk blend Viva, but I think it works with this yarn too. Come to think of it, starting Eva's shawl coincided with starting this blog!

It takes 5½ hours to go from Uppsala to Västervik, so I managed to get quite a lot done even though I kept alternating between this project and a fascinating book I'm reading, Possession by A.S. Byatt. Read a chapter, think about it while knitting for a while, read another chapter... A great way to digest a great book!

7 comments:

katarinaw said...

Looks beautiful! Reading and knitting, the best ways to spend time while travelling, sounds like you had a wonderful time.

ylva said...

sounds like a lovely way to travel!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful shawl - perfect combination of wool and pattern. Were you travelling on the train? I adore knitting and reading on the train.

Asplund said...

Thank you!

christinelaenec: I really prefer travelling by train, but went by bus. Less space, but comfortable enough.

Anonymous said...

The colour is gorgeous and I really like that particular pattern. Lucky you to live where there are trains.
Ron in Mexico

Asplund said...

I love the colour too - natural grey is really unbeatable.

Hedvig said...

Hej!

Vilken fantastiskt fin blogg du har! Hittade precis hit, men återvänder gärna igen.

Ha en bra dag!
/Hedvig