Wednesday 19 June 2013

Gusset experiment

"Mystic" sweater progress by Asplund
"Mystic" sweater progress, a photo by Asplund on Flickr.
There is half a sleeve left to knit, but I've started seaming the sweater: to have some of it over and done with, to see how it turns out and to make it easier to handle. (It was like having an octopus in my lap.)

When I knitted St Brigid recently I added cables to the edges of the sleeves to make the seam as invisible as possible. I've done the same thing here, but developed the idea: the cables start at the bottom of the front and back pieces. When I got nearer to the armholes I added increases on each side of them to make a kind of gusset, and when I picked up stitches for the sleeves I added the gusset stitches. This way I could continue the cables without interruption.

The negative thing about it is that there is not only a cable but also a seam in the middle of the armhole, which might make it less comfortable than an ordinary gusset, but I wanted to give it a try anyway.

Kanske blir det lite obekvämt med en bred fläta med en söm i mitten i armhålan, men jag kunde inte låta bli att testa en idé jag fick. När jag stickade St Brigid nyligen lade jag till flätor i kanterna på ärmarna och tyckte att det blev snyggt - och då fick jag för mig att jag skulle testa att ha det så hela vägen från höft till handled. För att få en kilform under armarna ökade jag på var sida om flätorna och satte maskorna på trådar efter att jag hade kommit till ärmhålen. Sedan fortsatte jag på dem i samband med att jag plockade upp maskor för att sticka ärmarna.

4 comments:

Ann said...

Only one Word:

Beautiful!

I don't think any other than the princess and the pea will be able to feel the cable and seem.

Liisa said...

Supersnyggt och smart! Så länge inte tröjan sitter supertajt så sömmen hamnar rakt i armhålan tror jag att det inte kommer vara någon som helst problem.

Unknown said...

Hello!

You got a lovely blog!
Very great knits you do!

ron in mexico said...

Another feat of engineering that boggles my mind. The continuity of the cables is so fluid. And I adore the combination of the anchors, the net,and the cables. Another great sweater to add to your collection.